Teen Girl Electrocuted After Grabbing Phone in Bathtub

She reached for her phone while it was charging.
By Allie Dietz
  • A 14-year-old from Lubbock, Texas, died after being electrocuted by her cell phone while she was taking a bath. Madison Coe was visiting her father in Lovington, New Mexico, when the accident occured. Madison’s family believes that while she was in the tub she reached for her phone that was plugged into an electrical outlet to charge. Madison’s grandmother Donna O’Guinn told reporters,”There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.”

    Something that many of us do – use our phone while taking a bath ended in a tragedy, and Madison’s family wants to raise awareness on the dangers of using electronics while you’re in water. “We want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging.”

    Family friends have also set up a GoFundMe Memorial to help the family cover expenses as they cope with their loss. We here at What’s Trending send our deepest condolences to Madison’s family.

    Do you use your devices in bathtub?? Let us know in the comments or at @whatstrending on Twitter!