The 10 Best Quotes from Barack Obama’s Speech at the DNC
President Barack Obama stepped to the podium to close out the third night of the Democratic National Convention and delivered a patriotic and hopeful whirlwind of a speech that brought America to its feet.
Over the course of 45 minutes, he looked back on his early days as president and forward towards a hopeful future where he sees America continuing to be a striving democracy and an inclusive nation that’s admired the world over. He was long on praise for Hillary Clinton and didn’t mince words for her opponent Donald Trump.
In a speech that was full of so many inspirational quotes, these are the ten best:
10. We don’t fear the future; we shape it, embrace it, as one people, stronger together than we are on our own.
9. And through countless acts of quiet courage, America learned that love has no limits, and marriage equality is now a reality across the land.
8. And then there’s Donald Trump. He’s not really a plans guy. Not really a facts guy, either.
7. I see Americans of every party, every background, every faith who believe that we are stronger together – black, white, Latino, Asian, Native American; young and old; gay, straight, men, women, folks with disabilities, all pledging allegiance, under the same proud flag, to this big, bold country that we love.
6. The America I know is full of courage, and optimism, and ingenuity.
5. Hillary knows we can work through racial divides in this country when we realize the worry black parents feel when their son leaves the house isn’t so different than what a brave cop’s family feels when he puts on the blue and goes to work; that we can honor police and treat every community fairly.
4. America isn’t about “yes he will.” It’s about “yes we can.”
3. (In discussing the values instilled in him by his Kansas grandparents) They knew these values were exactly what drew immigrants here, and they believed that the children of those immigrants were just as American as their own, whether they wore a cowboy hat or a yarmulke; a baseball cap or a hijab.
2. The American Dream is something no wall will ever contain.
1. Don’t boo. Vote.