2015 Emmy Awards – Last Night’s Highlights
There’s a lot to cover from last night’s Emmys. If you weren’t watching and frantically live-tweeting like we were, the above video will catch you up on the following crucial points:
• Jon Hamm finally won after seven years of playing Don Draper.
• Amy Poehler made a joke out of the fact that she never managed to win for Leslie Knope in “Parks and Recreation.”
• Tracy Morgan made a special appearance after last year’s serious car accident and it was seriously heartwarming.
• Terrence Howard kissed Taraji P. Henson while they presented an award together and it sort of creeped everyone out.
• “Game Of Thrones” won for Outstanding Drama Series, and Amy Schumer crashed their cast photo.
The biggest news of the night was Viola Davis becoming the first black woman to win lead actress in a drama series for “How To Get Away With Murder.” Her speech is worth listening to in full.
Her inspiring words generated a lot of discussion online – including, unfortunately, some tweets from “General Hospital” star Nancy Lee Grahn, who scoffed at Davis referencing Harriet Tubman (“its a fucking emmy for gods sake, she wasn’t digging thru a tunnel”). One now-deleted tweet said, “Emmys not venue 4 racial opportunity. ALL women belittled.” (Yes, she “All Lives Mattered” this situation.)
Grahn received (and is receiving) so much criticism for her comments that she trended on Twitter and had to post an apology:
But people are still angry about it, and later Grahn said she’d been “betrayed by ppl I would’ve marched for,” which hasn’t helped matters at all.
Let’s all just take a seat and learn valuable lessons from this whole fiasco, shall we, fellow white people?