by Devin Brown
What stories hit your social media feeds this past week? Blackberry BBM and other social media may have played large a role in the riots in London, and “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” optimized YouTube to find success at the box office. Also, a recent study found that a third of Americans would rather give up sex for a week than their mobile devices. What’s Trending Live gives you a rundown of the top trends these past seven days.
– Blackberry BBM has been implicated in being a primary tool in the organization of the Tottenham riots, and the company announced via Twitter that they would cooperate fully with authorities but would not shut down the service. What kind of role did social media play; and how might police use it to quell the violence and round up the criminals?
– Fox’s “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” exceeded expectations this past weekend thanks to a strong social media marketing campaign. In just 4 months the Apes Will Rise YouTube channel became one of the thirty most-viewed channels on the site.
– A recent study has found that 33 percent of American smartphone users would rather give up sex than their phone, and that 83 percent of iPhone users consider fellow Apple mobile users the best romantic partners.
– Column Five’s infographic on the top Emmy contenders gives us insight on the public’s Emmy picks based on social media popularity.
– Jay-Z and Kanye West’s joint venture “Watch The Throne” became the main topic of conversation as it defied the traditional Tuesday release in order to avoid leaks. The project is gaining huge buzz for both artists as the highly anticipated collaboration receives rave reviews from fans and critics alike. At one point yesterday the album was getting over 4 thousand Twitter mentions an hour.
– The stock market continues to be a topic of conversation after the recent downgrade of the U.S. credit rating. Economic frustrations have become heavily discussed on Twitter and financial hashtags and memes, including Brokers With Their Hands On Their Faces, have dominated the conversation.
Recover your password.
A password will be e-mailed to you.